Microsoft has finally named their Project Natal project. It’s going to be Kinect – tastes like the word kinetic – psychical energy.
A number of games for Kinect, has also been revealed by USA Today.
- Kinectimals lets you train and play with 20 different virtual cats, including a lion, cheetah and tiger.
- Joyride, a racing game, lets players use their hands to hold an imaginary steering wheel — pull your hands toward you and push back out for an acceleration boost — and their bodies to execute jumps and tricks.
- Kinect Sports has six activities including boxing, bowling, beach volleyball, track and field, soccer and table tennis. To serve a volleyball, you mimic the real motion; in soccer, you can kick the ball or do a header.
- Kinect Adventures includes a river-raft time trial and obstacle course, playable by up to four players. On the raft, playing as a duo, you and a partner must lean one way or another to steer. Jumping helps the raft reach special areas for extra points.
- Dance Central, in development by MTV Games, brings a So You Think You Can Dance experience home.
- Star Wars characters and iconic Disney favorites will be featured in separate new games being developed at Microsoft in conjunction with LucasArts and Disney.
All this seems very interesting, but were are we heading? I know how to treat animals – both digital and real life ones. For peaks sake, I had a Tamagotchi or three when I was a kid! For Joyride, I would way more like to use the regular controller in a racing game – but I might try out the imaginary steering wheel experience at some point…
Kinect Sports and Dance Central was expected. The Star Wars and Kinect Adventures is what intrigues me the most here – seems like some good heads and laughs has been behind these ideas – I really can’t wait to try out those!